Friday 15 February 2013

My Article


Crashing through the charts with Big Ed
Eddy Fiford, also known as Big Ed is the youngest Grime artist to hit number 1 in the charts at the age of 17. His new hit song “Livin’ the good life” got 100,000 views in 3 days on YouTube and some major Hip-hop labels have already contacted him. Ed has claimed to be “the next big thing” and is currently recording his first album.
“It’s not been so tough really. I mean, all I’ve done so far was write a song and rap it over a beat I made with a few mates. If the rest of the job is this easy, I’ll be bringing out songs quicker than anyone else in the industry. After I Uploaded my song to YouTube and my Facebook page, I didn’t have to do anything. After about a day, ManBetterKnow commented telling me I was pretty good. Now, I think that’s quite an achievement. I met them later in the week and discussed my future career. So now I’m putting my album together and it’ll be out in 2014.”
Big Ed has been performing since he was 13 and has been compared to people like Ghetts and Manga. After hearing this, Ghetts said “It’s decent to hear about young rappers making it big so quickly.”
Eddy is from a town in Cornwall called Bodmin. It’s a change from having all the successful Grime artists coming from places like London. He believes that this will give him an advantage as no one will expect him to be as good as he is. We asked him to describe his childhood. “It wasn’t that hard on me. I didn’t grow up in a massive city around loads of people, just a town with a fair amount of farmers. I spent my time either on my BMX or trying to write lyrics, but most of the time they were shit. It did take me a while to write some proper Dench lyrics. As soon as I got the hang of it though, I knew I was quality.”
Ed wasn’t alone when writing his music. He had help from a friend with making the beats and putting it all together. DJ J was the one behind the beats. He’s also been recognised by some local talent and is appearing at some festivals in the upcoming years. He was telling us about his plans. “Yeah I guess I will be separating from Ed but we did agree to keep making songs together. We’ll be starting our next song soon ready for his Album. I just can’t believe he’s got all these people with him and I’m doing festivals, lucky prick.”
Big Ed laughing about his childhood “Yeah I didn’t do much really, basically played Pokemon and sat around all day”

No comments:

Post a Comment